amazonaws.com?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Jun 4 17:25:28 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 11:10:40AM -0700, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> Barry Shein wrote:
> > > Equating port 25 use with domestic terrorism is specious.
> > >
> > > Ammonium nitrate requires requires some care in handling regardless of
> > > your intentions,see for exmple the oppau or texas city disasters.
> >
> >And how different is that from the million+ strong zombie botnets? Who
> >owns (not pwns) those zombie'd systems and what were their intentions?
>
> Well let's see. The texas city disaster is/was considered the worst
> industrial accident in american history. 581 people killed by an
> explosive yield of about 2 kilotons. The secondary effects includes
> fires in many of the chemical facilities in Galveston and a swath of
> destruction that reached up to 40 miles inland...
>
> http://www.local1259iaff.org/disaster.html
>
> So no, I don't think internet attached hosts can casually equated with
> the destructive potential of a pile of fertilizer at least not in the
> context described.

One word: SCADA.

Yes, in point of fact, I think it *is* reasonable to evaluate potential
threats to "just some PCs getting pwned" in terms of physical damage
on grander scales.

It's not just about spam, or fraudulent credit charges.

Cheers,
-- jra
Designer                +-Internetworking------+---------+            RFC 2100
Ashworth & Associates   |  Best Practices Wiki |         |             '87 e24
St Petersburg FL USA    +-http://bestpractices.wikia.com-+     +1 727 647 1274

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me