Querstions about COGENT and their services...

David Hubbard dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com
Tue Jun 3 16:35:42 UTC 2008

From: David Coulson [mailto:david at davidcoulson.net]

> There have been a few discussions over the last few months on
> Cogent - Seems the response is mixed, depending if you're on
> Cogent or old PSINet facilities. My experience has been that
> you get what you pay for - They're the cheapest, that's for
> sure. I've not heard anything about them in the last couple
> of months, but the last year has been filled with almost
> monthly service outages or congestion.
>
> David

Similar experience here, we had them as one of our five
upstreams for web hosting traffic for two years.  We'd
get regular complaints from customers about slow sites and
trace it back to their traffic involving the cogent link so
we began prepending three times to cogents peers in an
attempt to only see traffic to and from cogent customers
use that link under normal circumstances, but there were
still enough regular issues that we dropped them a few
months ago.  Their bgp community support encompasses maybe
four things you can set too, it's next to nothing.

David