Sure, I'm game (was Re: a business opportunity?)

Lynda shrdlu at deaddrop.org
Sat Jul 5 21:55:21 UTC 2008

Randy Bush wrote:

>> [snip weeding one's garden theory]

> if the ipv4 free pool run-out produces a lot of address shifting and
> recycling of old address space, will there be a market in clean-up
> services such as the above.  give them your newly-acquired address space
> for two months before you need to use it, and they will test and scrub
> and write and beg and whine on nanog?  it could be that one or two
> reputable clean-up folk could develop history with the various blockers
> and be able to get the job done better than we could do it ourselves.

Actually, that's not a bad idea. Of course, there's the larger problem;
verifying that the address space previously sullied is now worthy of
being cleaned up. In Nick Shank's case (and Bravo! to Nick), I would say
that he's off doing the right thing. It would seem that some serious
investigation would be necessary before acting as a third party for
others in a similar boat, of course.

I certainly have the time, skills, and inclination.

--
In April 1951, Galaxy published C.M. Kornbluth's "The Marching Morons".
The intervening years have proven Kornbluth right.