"1 million" routes

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Feb 5 20:07:16 UTC 2008

On paper, the Sup720-3bxl does 1 million routes.  The reality is, the
default config allows for:

L3 Forwarding Resources
              FIB TCAM usage:                     Total        Used       %Used
                   72 bits (IPv4, MPLS, EoM)     524288      229921         44%
                  144 bits (IP mcast, IPv6)      262144           5          1%

So, with not quite full BGP routes, my lab sup720 is at 44% capacity for
IPv4 routes.  This is tunable via "mls cef maximum-routes ..."  IPv6 route
slots can be traded for 2 IPv4 slots (after a reboot).

              FIB TCAM usage:                     Total        Used       %Used
                   72 bits (IPv4, MPLS, EoM)     770048      229899         30%
                  144 bits (IP mcast, IPv6)      139264           5          1%

So...how many IPv6 routes are people seeing/expecting?  Are you running
with the default split, figuring if/when the time comes, you'll adjust and
reboot?