Cap'n Bubba the marine backhoe driver - SEA-ME-WE 3 and 4, FLAG cut

Martin Hannigan martin at theicelandguy.com
Sun Dec 28 06:42:34 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 1:30 AM, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 10:23 PM, Martin Hannigan
> <martin at theicelandguy.com> wrote:
> > The repair is done out of the water. They cut the damage out and bring
>
> there was a nice flash video thingy presented in Toronto during Sylvie
> LaPerrière's preso:
>
> <http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog39/presentations/laperriere.pdf>
>
> I believe the flash thing is:
>
> <
> http://www1.alcatel-lucent.com/submarine/products/marine/index.htm;jsessionid=IEJIVJOKNSXPZLAWFRUE1CVMCYWGI3GC#
> >

> (top search result for 'undersea cable repair flash' on your favorite
> search engine)

I think that these are much more interesting and informative myself:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Hibernia+Atlantic&search_type=&aq=f

This one specifically address cable joins. Sort of looks like Tyco's lab in
New Jersey, but I think it's a Global Marine shipboard lab.

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E7CfQXhcY0

They don't show the LDPE application post splice, but it's kind of
uninteresting. This stuff is a whole lot simpler than most people think.

-M<

Martin Hannigan                               martin at theicelandguy.com
p: +16178216079