IPv6: IS-IS or OSPFv3

Adam Armstrong lists at memetic.org
Sat Dec 27 19:57:54 UTC 2008

TJ wrote:
>> I do have some confusion about which one is better for IPv6 in Service
>> Provider networks as far as IP routing and MPLS application is concern!
>>

> General rule of thumb - use whichever you / your operation is most familiar
> with.
> 	Using IS-IS today, use it for IPv6.
> 	Using OSPFv2 today, use OSPFv3 for IPv6.

Well, OSPFv3 has enough differences from OSPFv2 to make switching to
IS-IS a benefit to stop people making mistakes through expected
operational similarity (if that makes sense).

Also it means that once you're doing v6 everywhere you can dump OSPFv2
and only have one IGP for both v4 and v6. I personally think that'll
save a lot of headaches down the line, not to mention that fact that
IS-IS is, IMHO, a much nicer IGP to work with.

adam.