IPv6: IS-IS or OSPFv3

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sat Dec 27 11:22:45 UTC 2008

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008, devang patel wrote:

> I do have some confusion about which one is better for IPv6 in Service
> Provider networks as far as IP routing and MPLS application is concern!

Both work and have advantages and disadvantages.

Personally, I like the fact that IPv4 and IPv6 control plane are
different, thus I'd go for OSPv3. ISIS-MT means you have to know that all
your ISIS speakers will handle the MT packets gracefully. I know products
from large vendors in the market which do not (IPv6 not enabled, it
receives IPv6 MT packets, affects IPv4 ISIS control plane badly).

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se