What to do when your ISP off-shores tech support

Ben Scott mailvortex at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 15:52:24 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 1:31 PM, Matthew Black <black at csulb.edu> wrote:
> Going through COVAD's interactive DSL chooser,
> there are no options for RESIDENTIAL service.

  So choose "business".  In the world of mass-market ISPs,
"residential" means "end-user without clue who cares only about price,
not service".  You actually want business.

  Yes, you will pay more.  You've established that you don't like the
service level you receive at the rate you are currently paying.

> DSLextreme is charging a higher price than Verizon
> and I suspect they are simply reselling Verizon's
> DSL ...

  If their customer service/tech support is better, why do you care
how they get the packets to your equipment?

> I don't see them offering voice and that's why I conclude
> they are reselling Verizon's DSL service.

  Pure speculation on my part, but maybe they just aren't interested
in the voice market.

-- Ben