What is the most standard subnet length on internet

Danny McPherson danny at tcb.net
Sat Dec 20 17:42:47 UTC 2008

On Dec 18, 2008, at 9:43 PM, 정치영 wrote:

> Suresh,
>
> Yes, I guess my concern is close to the second meaning.
>
> It seems so simple. Currently annoucement of /24 seems to be okey,
> most upstream providers accept this.
> However I wonder if there is any ground rule based on any standard
> or official recommandation.
> If there is some standardized rule about prefix length to be
> annouced, I will make my bgp & IP allocation policy of
> each data center of my company, and I will be able to more fairly
> and squarely speak to my customer like this
> "You have to change your server's IP address if you want move your
> server to other place"

Some useful guidance is provided here (and in
subsequent references) as well:

An Architecture for IP Address Allocation with CIDR
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1518>

Classless Inter-Domain Routing (CIDR): an Address Assignment and
Aggregation Strategy
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1519>

Network Renumbering Overview
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2071>

A Framework for Inter-Domain Route Aggregation
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2519>

HTH,

-danny