What is the most standard subnet length on internet

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Fri Dec 19 15:48:50 UTC 2008

> As for routing table size, no router which can handle 10s of Gbps is
> at all bothered by the size of the global table,

... as long as it isn't something like a Cisco Catalyst 6509 with SUP720
and doesn't have a PFC3BXL helping out ...

... or if we conveniently don't classify a Catalyst 65xx as a router
because it was primarily intended as a switch, despite how ISP's commonly
use them ...

> so only edge devices
> or stub networks are in danger of needing to filter /24s.  And both of
> those can (should?) have something called a "default route", making it
> completely irrelevant whether they hear the /24s anyway.

A more accurate statement is probably that "any router that can handle
10s of Gbps is likely to be available in a configuration that is not at
all bothered by the current size of the global table, most likely at some
substantial additional cost."

... JG