What is the most standard subnet length on internet

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Fri Dec 19 08:45:36 UTC 2008

On 19 Dec 2008, at 04:43, 정치영 wrote:

> It seems so simple. Currently annoucement of /24 seems to be okey,
> most upstream providers accept this.
> However I wonder if there is any ground rule based on any standard
> or official recommandation.

The only rule is "my network, my rules" ;-)

But if general rules did exist, they might say 1) not to announce
smaller than a /24 to external parties without agreement, and 2) not
to carve up registry assigned address blocks into individual
announcements.

1 - You might announce your registry assigned block, AND deaggregated
blocks to upstreams or peers for traffic engineering purposes, but you
need to work closely with them to make sure that they don't filter the
deaggs from your session, and also to make sure they don't onwardly
announce the deaggs).

2 - The default free routing table is 270,000 entries large, and this
is too big for lots of kit, so networks ARE FILTERING TODAY on
registry boundaries.  If you don't understand the implications of this
do not deaggregate the addresses that the registry assign you.

Good luck with your project.  Drop me a note offlist if you need
specific advice.

Andy