Gigabit Linux Routers

Ingo Flaschberger if at
Thu Dec 18 05:41:47 CST 2008

Dear Chris,

> One final quick question on the NICs if I can. Following Mike's suggestion
> about specific Intel chipsets (82575 or 82576) it looks like it's much
> easier to source the chipsets mentioned by David (82571EB). If these NICs
> are embedded on the motherboard is it going to be of disadvantage in terms
> of performance ? I take the point of the interrupts being the key, kindly
> thrown into the mix by Eugeniu.

For a new system you should go with pci-e cards.

> A nice man called John mailed me off list and mentioned this off-the-shelf
> build. On that note does anyone have any experience of Lannerinc's
> appliances mentioned above by Ingo

I have posted thos off-list, for the list:
pros: cheap, cf-disk support, low power (~50W)
cons: only 1GB Ram (enough for 1million routes),
 	pci-connected intel 82541GI, 32bit, 33MHZ
 	acpi max-temp is set to low in bios and needs
 	an acpi-aml file to be loaded
pros: 7x pci-e use them.

pros: very stable, quagge runs very well, fastforwarding support,
 	simple traffic shaping, interrupt less polling supported
cons: only 1 route for each network, vrrp failover is not easy to
 	implement with quagga and ospf, no multipath routing
pros: more than 1 route for each network possible,
 	interrupt less polling should be supported?
 	fastforwarding ?
cons: no multipath routing

Single-core-cpus performs better at freebsd than multi-core ones

At freebsd-net mailinglist there is a very long thread about

Kind regards,
 	Ingo Flaschberger