Gigabit Linux Routers

Eugeniu Patrascu eugen at imacandi.net
Wed Dec 17 17:33:38 UTC 2008

Chris wrote:

> Eugeniu: That's very useful. The Intel dual port NICs mentioned aren't any
> good then I presume (please see my comment to David).

Actually it depends on the motherboard chipset. Some chipsets allocate
an interrupt per slot, and when you have lot's a traffic between two
ports on a dual port card the will increase dramatically, but should get
you at 1Gbps, at higer speeds... depends.

It's adviseable to use a 2.6 kernel as the network stack, compared to
2.4, is way better and you can achieve higher speeds.