UDP DoS mitigation?

Matthew Huff mhuff at ox.com
Fri Dec 12 20:04:07 UTC 2008

Although the problem we had wasn't DoS, but rather high packet rates for market data, we saw a huge improvement by moving from a 7204VRX to a 7600 platform. Going from a software switched environment to a hardware one help deal with large number of packet drops during peaks of burst activity.

We looked at the ASR1000, but found the price too high. Although cisco doesn't promote it, the 7604 with the Sup32 engine (WS-SUP32-GE-3B) with 8 x GE interfaces is a very cost effective hardware router.