Stress Testing LAN/WAN

Brian Feeny bfeeny at mac.com
Thu Dec 4 22:23:36 UTC 2008

I have the need to stress test a LAN and WAN.  The primary concern is
the WAN which is at most OC-3.  The LAN would be an additional bonus
if I could do that as well.
I am familiar with tools such as those from Spirent and IXIA which are
very expensive.  I was wondering if someone has had to do this and can
recommend some open source
tools that would work well.  I need to test a few different types of
traffic, specifically trying to push traffic into various switch/
router policies to make sure everything is performing as
expected.  If anyone knows of some software that works well for this I
would appreciate letting me know.

Thanks,

Brian