Recommendation of Tools

Braun, Mike MBraun at firstam.com
Wed Dec 3 19:56:50 UTC 2008

If the question is to measure hop by hop latency from source to destination, perhaps across routers you don't manage, how can this be done without using the ICMP time exceeded messages?  End to end latency is easily done with Smokeping and the use of TCP (SYN, SYN ACK, ACK, RST) and them timestamp it.  This gives you a very clear idea on application latency on any tcp port.  Hop by hop is a different story and the only option I know of is with the reliance on the ICMP mechanism.  One additional question on this; how do you measure hop by hop when the path dynamically changes, and then record the path change (time/date and the differences in latency on the new path)?

Mike