Tcpdump data collection

Nathan Ward nanog at
Tue Dec 2 19:33:13 CST 2008

On 3/12/2008, at 2:19 PM, Subba Rao wrote:

> Hello,
> I want to collect data on a network and map the data flow and system/
> port traffic. There are 2 scenarios of data collection here.  The
> first is to collect IP traffic only.  In this method I do not want
> the data portion of the IP packet (need IP address, source/
> destination ports etc).
> The second is to collect traffic that will show all the routing
> protocols (non-IP) used on this network.  Today while collecting the
> data, I saw several HSRP packets.  I don't know what portion of the
> packet is sufficient to capture for this purpose.
> I used the "-s 0" option on tcpdump which captures the whole
> packet.  That is making the dump file large.  Any help with the
> filters is appreciated to capture the non-data portion of the packets.
> Thank you in advance.

I strongly recommend having a look through this to find out what rules
you want (ie. plain English):

Then, go about mapping them in to tcpdump/pcap/bpf/whatever filter
format, a quick Google suggests this as a good resource:

You might also consider using netflow instead of tcpdump, there are
lots of tools available for processing netflow data in ways that are
useful to network operators.

Nathan Ward