an over-the-top data center

George William Herbert gherbert at retro.com
Tue Dec 2 20:20:19 UTC 2008

Marshall wrote:
>This is of course off-off-topic, but I would suspect the room
>temperature ultrasonic
>misters, not dry ice or wood smoke.
>
>Regards
>Marshall

Concur.

As anyone who works with air conditioning knows, ultrasonic are
the low maintenance option for your humidifier units anyways.
A lot of your datacenters have those 8-)

There are also doors between the plants and NOC and the server
rooms ...

Having them external to the AC and pumping visible fog out into
the room instead of invisible into the air feeds is unusual, but
if the resulting humidity (in the NOC, not the server rooms)
is normal it's no big deal.  You can have the floor covered in
an inch of water and the air be perfectly safe humidity for
systems (just don't drop a live power cable in the water...).

I wouldn't do this personally, but if done right it should be safe.

-george william herbert
gherbert at retro.com