an over-the-top data center

Joe Provo nanog-post at rsuc.gweep.net
Mon Dec 1 23:36:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 08:14:20PM +0100, Kurt Erik Lindqvist wrote:
[snip]
> On 1 dec 2008, at 15.08, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
[snip]
> >I don't think any IXP can become a significant player on the
> >Internet today by only attracting participants from the country in
> >question.  The Internet is not bound by political borders.
> >(Usually. :)

Despite the huge amount of "content which transcends the language
barrier" [tip of the hat wbn], it is worth noting that there is
a non-trivial amount of language-/culture-specific traffic that
doesn't need or want to traverse globally (viz massive IXes & large
xTTH deplyoments in otherwise 'small' countries).  Sometimes that
maps near to the political boundaries.

Joe [by all means, do not take this as a SPoF endorsement]

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE