an over-the-top data center

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at
Mon Dec 1 08:27:19 CST 2008

On Dec 1, 2008, at 9:12 AM, Randy Bush wrote:

>> I don't think any IXP can become a significant player on the Internet
>> today by only attracting participants from the country in question.
> netnod is very successful.  i guess they must operate from more than
> sweden, then, eh?

NetNod is successful.  Very is a matter of opinion.  As for "operate
from more than sweden", that is trivial to confirm by looking at their
member list.

So now that we have agreed, did you have a point, or just want to run
up your word count?

> engineers judge by results, not word count.

Wow, Randy, we are in agreement again.

To be clear, are you suggesting IXPs consider hiding their switches,
forcing you to use a single fiber providers, not allowing anyone to
know the path, etc.?  I want to be sure I understand what you mean,
since "engineers" like to make serious points, not flippant sound bites.