BGP, ebgp-multihop and multiple peers

Truman Boyes truman at suspicious.org
Wed Aug 27 01:40:05 UTC 2008

Steve,

You ask a very good question because I have seen some providers embark
on the multiple loopback approach for numerous reasons. I suggest a
single loopback per routing-instance whenever possible. The cost
savings in OSS and integration in routing configurations with a single
repeatable block of configuration per peer/peer group is far more
beneficial than some corner case technical benefit of having multiple
loopback addresses.

I have been forced for other feature support to deploy multiple
loopback interfaces, but have always opted to keep all EBGP peering
with a single loopback interface per routing-instance.

Kind regards,
Truman