Where to put our router

Jake Mertel jake at nobistech.net
Tue Aug 26 20:00:42 UTC 2008

Good afternoon (or whatever it is for you ;),

We have just finished moving a large amount of equipment to a new
facility outside of downtown Chicago. At present we have an uplink via a
point-to-point to Equinox downtown. We are preparing to add another
provider, and are debating where we should put our router. The two
options would be in Equinox downtown (co-located with our existing
provider) or at the new facility. Were we to do the former we would turn
our existing point-to-point into our connection from our edge router to
our distribution switch and add a second point-to-point for redundancy
from the distro switch back to the router. Were we to do the latter we
would get a second point-to-point direct from our new provider to their
network and connect it to our router where it is now.

The major advantage I can think of to having it in Equinox is the
availability of cross connects to just about anyone. There are a few
providers in the new facility, but not many. The major disadvantage is
that if we suddenly need a large amount of transport (i.e. a new large
client, a definitive short-term possibility)  we would either need to
get a new or additional point-to-point from downtown to the facility or
would need to get another router to utilize at the new facility (were we
to meet up with one of the in-building providers instead of getting the
point-to-point transport).

Any thoughts related to the advantages or disadvantages of doing one or
the other would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Jake Mertel