It's Ars Tech's turn to bang the IPv4 exhaustion drum

Charles Wyble charles at thewybles.com
Fri Aug 22 21:45:24 UTC 2008

Matthew Kaufman wrote:
> Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080817-were-running-out-of-ipv4-addresses-time-for-ipv6-really.html
>>

> This article reminded me that I really needed to stop relying on a
> tunnel over my backup DSL line for IPv6 and spend the time to get my
> own ISP on the road to deploying IPv6.
>
> Step 1: Request address space from ARIN
>
> Took <1 day to get a reply that we'd be getting the space that day, a
> few more hours to receive a /32. That was easy.

Did you have existing IPv4 space with ARIN? If so, I have to wonder  if
I would get the same speedy service from ARIN as a new entrant without
existing ipv4 space? :)

I'm looking at building a large network with Ipv6 in the Los Angeles
metro area, to serve a number of small businesses via a large scale
wireless network. Essentially a large scale private WAN, with globally
routable addresses (for a VoIP/IPTV roll out later) So I'm not exactly a
traditional ISP or colocation customer, but share characteristics with
them. Does this matter? Should I just submit my request and see what
happens?

--
Charles Wyble (818) 280 - 7059
http://charlesnw.blogspot.com