It's Ars Tech's turn to bang the IPv4 exhaustion drum

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Mon Aug 18 21:35:26 UTC 2008

On 18 aug 2008, at 23:28, Justin M. Streiner wrote:

> I don't have a problem with assigning customers a /64 of v6 space.  My
> earlier comments were focused on network infrastructure comprised of
> mainly
> point-to-point links with statically assigned interface addresses.
> In that case, provisioning point-to-point links much larger than a /
> 126, or at the maximum a /120 seems rather wasteful and doesn't make
> much sense.

Well, the choice is really between /64 or not-/64. If the latter, you
can number all your point-to-point links from a single /64 whether you
give them a /96 or a /127. I recommend /112 because that way the
subnet boundary falls on a colon. /120 or longer has some potential
issues that are too boring to explain for the 50th time.

But since IPv6 routing protocols work on link locals, you really don't
need _any_ global addresses on your point-to-point links...