SLAAC(autoconfig) vs DHCPv6

Charles Wyble charles at thewybles.com
Mon Aug 18 21:27:56 UTC 2008

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> On 18 aug 2008, at 22:23, Dale W. Carder wrote:
>
>> DHCPv6
>> - doesn't ship w/ some OS's
>
> Forget about it on XP,

Hmmm. MS says otherwise:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/ipv6/ipv6faq.mspx
> but it's in Vista. You can add it to BSD/Linux without too much
> trouble (are there good, bugfree implementations for those yet?)

Bugfree? Nothing is bugfree :)
> but Mac is a problem for prospective DHCPv6 users because the network
> configuration mechanisms are fairly proprietary and DHCPv6 isn't
> likely to be supported any time soon.

Hmmmm. I have yet to play with the Mac Ipv6 support (typing this on a
Mac now I should try in my lab later). What auto configuration
mechanisms are you referring to? Bonjour? Isn't there an RFC or two for
Zeroconf?

--
Charles Wyble (818) 280 - 7059
http://charlesnw.blogspot.com