Public shaming list for ISPs announcing other ISPs IP space by mistake

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Mon Aug 18 19:04:13 UTC 2008

> Absent any kind of network wide enforcement, why don't you just roll
> participation and compliance with this into your peering contracts, with
> propagation? Require your peers to have it, and ask that they pass the
> requirement on. This isn't rocket science, clearly, because even I
> understand it. All it takes it a couple of larger entities to set the
> bar, and drag everyone up. Some of this may amount to teaching your
> peers to fish, but if everyone wins, thanks for contributing.
>
> Require peers to support IRR objects.
> Require them to have an alias that points at an always existing human.
> Require them to maintain their entries.
>
> And then do it yourself so they can see how it's done.

The business process would read:

"New procedures will reduce the operational cost of our operations by xx%".

"All peering contracts renewed or executed after [date] will comply to
document xxxx".

Revised customer IP provisioning procedures:

"Insert new customer IP info into our local IRR. Customer IPs will not
work if this is not done."

"Press here to cause us to spin our configuration builder."

Deepak