Public shaming list for ISPs announcing other ISPs IP space by mistake

Bill Nash billn at billn.net
Mon Aug 18 18:52:54 UTC 2008

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008, Jared Mauch wrote:
>>> I agree, how many of you folks that use IRRs have
>>> ever deleted an IRR object?  Heck, some ISPs even
>>> add them based on existence of advertised routes.
>>
>> On that topic, how do you delete IRR objects when the person who created
>> them used a unique maintainer object and is no longer around to provide
>> the password for the maintainer object?
>
> 	This is what the human at most db-admin aliases is for.
>
> 	I know that we staff humans behind our alias to respond to
> such queries.

Absent any kind of network wide enforcement, why don't you just roll
participation and compliance with this into your peering contracts, with
propagation? Require your peers to have it, and ask that they pass the
requirement on. This isn't rocket science, clearly, because even I
understand it. All it takes it a couple of larger entities to set the bar,
and drag everyone up. Some of this may amount to teaching your peers to
fish, but if everyone wins, thanks for contributing.

Require peers to support IRR objects.
Require them to have an alias that points at an always existing human.
Require them to maintain their entries.

And then do it yourself so they can see how it's done.

- billn