RouterOS performance?

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Mon Aug 18 00:16:31 UTC 2008

William Pitcock wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're looking at using Mikrotik's RouterOS for some some sort of
> software routing solution as part of our network in combination with
> supervised layer3 switching doing most likely some sort of limited BGP.
>
> Does anyone else here run it? Is it any good? Is it better than e.g.
> vyatta?

vyatta has some issues, but it's ok for a router optimizied linux distro...

> If RouterOS and Vyatta both suck, is there any decent software routing
> solution? Our network is small (4 /24s) and we only need to push roughly
> 1-2gbit at the moment.
>
> Experiences with both would be appreciated. Thanks!

haven't used routeros in a while but at the time it was inoffensive,
it's not derived from a general purpose system so it's not something you
bolt additional bits on if you need them.

I actually use freebsd as a router on soekris, but I do need a general
purpose os on the system as well.