Is it time to abandon bogon prefix filters?

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sun Aug 17 01:55:45 UTC 2008

>> i contend that all one's routers should be rigorously
>> configured as programmatically as possible.
> What sort of tools do you use to facilitate this?

ntt/verio, level(3), ... have sophisticated locally developed systems.
they see these as competitive advantage, so sharing is extremely
unlikely.  and, as they are home grown, they likely do not have a
portable layer of indirection to corporate back-end data.

some large telcos seem proud that "the network is the database of
record" and are proud of it.  i wish all my competitors thought that.

for my own use, i use m4, python and perl, and peval()

randy