Validating rights to announce a prefix (was: Public shaming...)

Skywing Skywing at valhallalegends.com
Fri Aug 15 16:50:03 UTC 2008

I respectfully disagree that it's nonsense.  You can shut off your Gopher server, because, for some set of "nobody" that you care about, nobody uses Gopher anymore.

There are several basic ways for an old protocol to get replaced:

- Nobody has a use for it any more, for a sufficient level of "nobody" (e.g. Gopher).  In the case of Gopher, it could be argued that it never really caught on to the degree that things like, say, HTTP did.
- Everyone moves on to a newer version, typically because somebody forces it on them (vendor ceasing support of old protocol, centralized that can enforce such things mandates it, etc).

The problem here, that I see with deploying a new protocol version, is that operators will be loathe to create a policy saying that "I don't accept delegation notifications of version less than x+1" until doing so does not mean that they will be cutting off things that their customers care about reaching.  In this situation, flipping the big red switch to turn off protocol version x is externalized and dependent upon everyone that a particular operator's customers care about having started using version x+1.  There isn't a particularly great way right now for said operator to force other networks to deploy version x+1, at least not without trying to do something along the lines of playing chicken between their customers walking and said other networks getting their act together by cutting off version x.  (If this perception is not entirely accurate, according to your beliefs, please feel free to explain.)

If you leave version x+1 as optional, then you're going to be waiting a very, very long time for it to naturally "die out" as long as there is still a sizable user base that you care about.

Again, there may not be an exact, down-to-the-line analogue to this particular problem, but there are a whole lot of things on the 'net out there which have some degree of similarity and tend to demonstrate that on average, without some authoritative centralized body somehow forcing action to be taken, old protocols that are "good enough" tend to stick around forever (even when "good enough" often really means "not really, truly secure").  I think that it would be wise to avoid getting ourselves mired into that mess going forward.

Cutting remarks aside, it seems like you tend to find this preferable as well after all ("Even more straighforward if we walk into this with clear requirements and a clear documented architecture so that everyone knows what the boundaries are and fewer people bake things into hard-to-upgrade places."), unless I am misunderstanding you :)

[ Not commenting on the matter of expiring IRR database entries, as my posting was, again only discussing the matter of the pitfalls of assuming that protocol upgrades will be particularly workable to provide "add-on" security later in the game. ]

- S