Public shaming list for ISPs announcing other ISPs IP space by mistake

Joe Malcolm jmalcolm at uraeus.com
Fri Aug 15 11:53:23 UTC 2008

Jared Mauch writes:
>	No really, the reason for some leaks isn't because so-and-so was
>never a customer, they were.  5 years ago.  nobody removed the routes from
>the IRR or AS-SET or <insert method here> and now the route is learned via
>some other location and it's bypassed your perimiter security and
>infiltrated your BGP.

The issue of cleaning up legacy state for former customers applies to
many things beyond route announcements - though the latter may be one
of the more visible remnants. I suspect relatively few companies can
accurately and completely track the state associated with a customer
such that it can be removed once the customer billing stops. (Or they
stop paying.) This really needs to be automated and the backend
databases need a way to associate records with particular billing
entities, or else you will find yourself slowly cleaning up after past
customers at inconvenient moments for years.

Joe