Public shaming list for ISPs announcing other ISPs IP space bymistake

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Thu Aug 14 19:29:59 UTC 2008

On Aug 14, 2008, at 12:15 PM, <michael.dillon at bt.com> <michael.dillon at bt.com
 > wrote:
>> And here I thought IANA handed out ASnums and IP address
>> blocks to ARIN (and RIPE and LACNIC and AfriNIC and APNIC and
>> the IETF for specific protocol requirements)...
> We are talking Internet operations, not Internet politics.

Indeed.

> People don't care where the numbers came from, they care
> who actually got the rights to use them, and then what
> those orgs did with the rights, i.e. an IP addr block owner
> may delegate the rights to announce a subset of their space
> to a specific ASnum holder.

Yep.  And as with DNSSEC, you, as a network operator, get a choice.
You can configure a single trust anchor corresponding to the actual
address allocation flow and follow a chain of authority down to the
leaf (end user or ISP) allocation or you can configure a number of
trust anchors and figure out how to deal with cross-certifications
resulting from the multiple roots.  Ignoring politics, the technically
and architecturally cleaner approach is obvious to me.  However, as I
mentioned, it is challenging to ignore the layer 9 politics.

Regards,
-drc