Public shaming list for ISPs announcing other ISPs IP space by mistake

brett watson brett at the-watsons.org
Thu Aug 14 18:32:28 UTC 2008

On Aug 14, 2008, at 11:21 AM, David Freedman wrote:

>> but, why wouldn't something like formally requiring
>> customers/peers/transits/etc to have radb objects as a 'requirement'
>> for peering/customer bgp services
>>

> Step 1 : Enforce IRR for customers *now*.

Right, but I think the bigger issue is not just that "data is in the
IRR" but rather "the data is there, and "some organization" has
validated that 1) the "owner" is authentic, 2) they own the prefixes
they entered, 3) they are authorized to originate the prefixes, and 4)
the policies they entered are valid and agreed to by the other parties."

We have to be able to *trust* the data in the IRR, which I assume is
one of the biggest impediments to being used by everyone: who's going
to validate all that data and how will they do it?

-b