Coop Peering Fabric??

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Tue Aug 12 21:06:50 UTC 2008

Paul Wall wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 8:32 AM, Patrick W. Gilmore <patrick at ianai.net> wrote:
>> Tons of others exist, in big and little markets.  There's one in 365 Main
>> SF, there's KleyReX in the same building as DE-CIX, Big APE in 111 8th, NYCx
>> there too, ChicagoIX just opened, etc., etc.
>
> Excellent point on Europe.
>
> Not so much in the United States.  Do SFMIX, BIG APE, NYCX, etc 1)
> have more than a half dozen participants 2) exchange any traffic other
> than BGP keep-alives and ARP? :)  I think not.  When you look at why
> not, it's usually always predatory practices on the part of various
> collo and IX operators preventing widespread adoptation.  If CHIX were
> doing real traffic, do you think Equinix would allow them to remain
> accessible from their suites, and in a cost-effective manner?
>
>> Trust me, it _is_ being done.
>
> It's being done, just not on a large scale in the United States
> outside of the SIX.

Is there a more appropriate place for interested parties to discuss the
possible creation of such a beast in the WDC area? I know we have about
a lot of optical capacity we could help contribute to a stake in the
ground between Equinix/Ash and a facility less than 1ms away if there is
interest.

Deepak