Coop Peering Fabric??

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Tue Aug 12 12:32:16 UTC 2008

On Aug 12, 2008, at 3:37 AM, Paul Wall wrote:

> If it were as easy as you make it sound, I can assure you people would
> be doing it.

People are.  I (and others) mentioned SIX & TorIX, plus I mentioned
PaNAP.  Then there's AtlantaIX, although that recently got slurped by
TelX.  (Hrmmm, could one of the "dangers" of a coop be "borg'ed by for-
profit entity looking to rip out every cent they can"? :)

Tons of others exist, in big and little markets.  There's one in 365
Main SF, there's KleyReX in the same building as DE-CIX, Big APE in
111 8th, NYCx there too, ChicagoIX just opened, etc., etc.

Trust me, it _is_ being done.

> Also, does your Equinix MSA contain a non-compete clause, which could
> be interpreted to mean you can't run a competing IX (metro fabric,
> exchange, whatever) out of their facilities?  I hear many do.

So don't run it in an Equinix or S&D cage.

--
TTFN,
patrick