was bogon filters, now "Brief Segue on 1918"

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Aug 6 18:08:10 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 09:36:05AM -0700, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> Darden, Patrick S. wrote:
> >Most organizations that would be doing this would not randomly pick out
> >subnets, if I understand you.  They would randomly pick out a subnet, then
> >they would sub-subnet that based on a scheme.  I believe this is the
> >intent of RFC 1918.  Not to apply a random IP scheme, but to randomly pick
> >a network from the appropriate sized Private Networking ranges, then apply
> >a well thought out scheme to the section of IP addresses you chose.
> >
> >E.g. 10.150.x.y/16 as their network.  X could be physical positioning, and
> >Y could be purposive in nature.  10.150.0.0 as basement, 10.150.1.0 as
> >first floor, 10.150.2.0 as second floor, etc.  1-20 as switches/routers,
> >21-50 as servers and static workstations, 51-100 as printers, and 101--200
> >as DHCP scope for PCs, and 201-254 for remote login DHCP scope (vpn,
> >dialup, etc.)
> >
> >Yes, I think a large private network would work this way.  RFC 1918 wants
> >it to work this way (imho).

I'm certain that wasn't the intent of 1918, from the "random" wording.

> How much of 10/8 and 172.16/12 does an organization with ~80k employees,
> on 5 continents, with hundreds of extranet connections to partners and
> suppliers in addition to numerous aquistions and the occasional
> subsidiary who also use 10/8 and 172.16/12 use?

My network serves around 300 machines and employees, and uses 10.10/16,
though very sparsely -- we do indeed subject one /24 per function.

The *point* though, is that it's 10.*10*.

Another client is using 10.55.storenumber with one /24 per store.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Josef Stalin)