was bogon filters, now "Brief Segue on 1918"

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Wed Aug 6 15:20:53 UTC 2008

Darden, Patrick S. wrote:
> Was looking over 1918 again, and for the record I have only run into one
> network that follows:
>
>    "If two (or more) organizations follow the address allocation
>    specified in this document and then later wish to establish IP
>    connectivity with each other, then there is a risk that address
>    uniqueness would be violated.  To minimize the risk it is strongly
>    recommended that an organization using private IP addresses choose
>    *randomly* from the reserved pool of private addresses, when
> allocating
>    sub-blocks for its internal allocation."
>
> I added the asterisks.

You're supposed to choose ula-v6 /48 prefixs randomly as well... Any
bets on whether that routinely happens?

While you're home can probably randomly allocate subnets out of a /8 or
/12 for a while without collisions, nobody that's actually building a
subnetting plan for a large private network is going to be able to get
away with that in v4.