enterprise change/configuration management and compliance software?

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Tue Apr 15 20:30:54 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 9:13 PM, jamie <j at arpa.com> wrote:
>   Gentlemen (and Ren!):    ;-)
>
>   I'm currently investigating options w.r.t. enterprise-wide (over 250
> device, and by 'device' i mean router and/or switch) configuration
> management (and (ideally) compliance-auditing_and_assurance) software.
>
>   We currently use Voyence (now EMC) and are looking into other options for
> various reasons, support being in the top-3 ...
>
>   So, I pose:  To you operators of multi-hundred-device networks : what do
> you use for such purposes(*) ?
>                                                       (*)see subject

We have several thousand network devices currently in play:

mpetach at nowherespecial:/tftp/conf/latest> ls *.conf | wc -l
    7419
mpetach at nowherespecial:/tftp/conf/latest>

I hand read each device configuration check-in email that goes past
to see if there's errors in the configs, security violations, or other WTF-ish
elements in the config check-in, and mail back a nag notice to the
person who changed the config.

Currently, I received between 1900 and 3000 email messages a day.

I sleep 3 hours a night.

> jamie rishaw

Hope that helps answer your question.

Matt