Anyone using uvlan out there?

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Thu Sep 13 21:53:07 UTC 2007

> How does it work?
> Using the libpcap (winpcap for windows users) library, uvlan listens to
> a specific ethernet device. If a broadcast frame is seen, then it is
> sent off to all the peers so they can add it to their records and emit
> the broadcast on their local network. Once this happens, the device
> (computer, router, gaming console, etc) which sent the broadcast will be
> known by all the peers and remote machines will know of the device's
> existance and how to route traffic to it.

I'd be very concerned if you had a lot of machines running on the same
side of a hardware switch and all were "nodes"... they'd replicate all
the broadcast frames and n^2 plus the hardware switch's contribution :).
Sounds like a problem for machines that are reasonably close together
and/or large implementations of these.

Kind of cool otherwise.

Deepak