Abovenet OC48 down

Jason Matthews jason at technorati.com
Thu Oct 25 22:20:57 UTC 2007

Simon Lockhart wrote:
> On Thu Oct 25, 2007 at 02:54:27PM -0700, Jason Matthews wrote:
>
>> I lost nearly all of my bgp routes to Above a few minutes ago. The NOC
>> has they have an oc48 down some where, as of this writing the location
>> has not been localized.
>>

> Does anyone actually believe that an ISP could know that they've got an
> OC48 down, but not which one it was?
>
> Simon

It probably has more to do with not knowing the locality of the
failure.  Knowing you have a circuit down, and knowing why and the
location of the failure are two very different things. Given that I
spoke to them within ten minutes of failure, that is hardly enough time
to mobilize splice teams, recall people from dinner breaks, etc. It is a
no brainer that they dont have alot of information.

j.