BitTorrent swarms have a deadly bite on broadband nets

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Oct 23 06:21:19 UTC 2007

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Sean Donelan wrote:

> Ok, maybe the greedy commercial folks screwed up and deserve what they
> got; but why are the nobel non-profit universities having the same
> problems?

Because if you look at a residential population with ADSL2+ and 10/10 or
100/100 respectively, the upload/download ratios are reversed, from 1:2
with ADSL2+ (double the amount of download to upload), to 2:1 (double the
amount of upload to download). In my experience, the amount of download is
approximately the same in both cases, which gives that the upload factor
changes 1:4 with the access media symmetry.

Otoh, long term savings (several years) on operational costs still make
residential ethernet a better deal since experience is that "it just
works" as opposed to ADSL2+ where you have a very disturbing signal
environment where customers are impacting each other which leads to a lot
of customer calls regarding poor quality and varying speeds/bit errors
over time.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se