Why do some ISP's have bandwidth quotas?

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Wed Oct 10 22:09:16 UTC 2007

On Oct 10, 2007, at 5:18 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Joe Greco wrote:
>
>> One of the biggest challenges for the Internet has got to be the
>> steadily
>> increasing storage market, combined with the continued development of
>> small, portable processors for every application, meaning that
>> there's
>> been an explosion of computing devices.
>
> The one thing that scares me the most is that I have discovered
> people around me that use their bittorrent clients with rss feeds
> from bittorrent sites to download "everything" (basically, or at
> least a category) and then just delete what they don't want.
> Because they're paying for flat rate there is little incentive in
> trying to save on bandwidth.
>
> If this spreads, be afraid, be very afraid. I can't think of
> anything more bandwidth intensive than video, no software updates
> downloads in the world can compete with people automatically
> downloading DVDRs or xvids of tv shows and movies, and then
> throwing it away because they were too lazy to set up proper
> filtering in the first place.

Many people leave the TV on all the time, at least while they are home.

On the Internet broadcasting side, we (AmericaFree.TV) have some
viewers that do the same - one has racked
up a cumulative 109 _days_ of viewing so far this year. (109 days in
280 days duration works out to 9.3 hours per day.) I am sure that
other video providers can provide similar reports. So, I don't think
that things are that different here in the new regime.

Regards
Marshall