Hey, SiteFinder is back, again...

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Sun Nov 4 22:44:16 UTC 2007

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007, Eliot Lear wrote:
> Sean Donelan wrote:
>> I just wish the IETF would acknowledge this and go ahead and define a
>> DNS bit for artificial DNS answers for all these "address correction"
>> and "domain parking" and "domain tasting" people to use for their keen
>> "Web 2.0" ideas.
>
> Yes, it sounds like the evil bit.  Why would anyone bother to set it?

Two reasons

1) By standardizing the process, it removes the excuse for using
various hacks and duct tape.

2) Because the villian in Bond movies don't view themselves as evil.
Google is happy to pre-check the box to install their Toolbar, OpenDNS is
proud they redirect phishing sites with DNS lookups, Earthlink says it
improves the customer experience, and so on.

If they don't set the bit using the standardized process, then they
lose their fig leaf.