single homed public-peer bandwidth ... pricing survey ?

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Tue Mar 6 22:36:18 UTC 2007

On Mar 6, 2007, at 4:51 PM, Jason Arnaute wrote:

> I am currently hosted in a small, independent
> datacenter that has 4 or 5 public peers (L3, Sprint,
> UUnet, AT&T and   ... ?)

Those are not public peers, those are transit providers.

> They are a very nice facility, very technical and
> professional, and have real people on-site 24 hours
> per day ... remote hands, etc.  All very high end and
> well managed.
>
> But, I am charged between $150 and $180 per megabit/s
> for non-redundant, single-homed bandwidth (not sure
> which provider they put it on) and even if I commit to
> 20 or 30 megabits/s it still only drops down to $100 -
> $120 per megabit/s.

That is not single-homed bandwidth.  You listed 4 transit providers
yourself, so they obviously have more than a single path to the
Internet.

> So naturally, I am very interested when I see HE.NET
> offering bandwidth for $20/mb/s, and it looks like
> Level3 is selling for $30/mb/s...

Have you checked on volume.  L3 will not give you $30/Mbps for one
megabit.  How much are you buying now?

> Are there two classes of bandwidth in the world ?  Is
> it reasonable and expected that single homed public
> peered bandwidth is, circa Jan 2007, going for above
> $100/mb/s while private peered bandwidth like L3 and
> HE.NET is $30 and below ?

"Private peered bandwidth"?  That is a new term I've never heard.

What makes you think L3 & HE are different from the place selling you
transit now?

Care to define your terms?

> Or am I just getting ripped off ?

Entirely possible.