Network Level Content Blocking (UK)

William Allen Simpson william.allen.simpson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 21:29:15 UTC 2007

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> Interestingly, nobody has mentioned on the list what the offending
> content is yet. Or why this would even remotely be a good idea. I would
> think that if the content in question is legal, ISPs and the government
> shouldn't touch it, and if it isn't, law enforcement should do something
> about it.

It was in http://publicaffairs.linx.net/news/?p=497

"images of child abuse"

"voluntary" "co-operation"

"At present, the government does not propose to require UK ISPs to block
content and our policy is to pursue a self-regulatory approach wherever
possible."

"However, 90 per cent. of connections is not enough...."