An Internet IPv6 Transition Plan

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Wed Jul 25 23:15:23 UTC 2007

On 25-jul-2007, at 6:30, Stephen Wilcox wrote:

> I think the combined effect of these things means
> - we will not be running into a wall at any time
> - availability of IPs will slowly decrease over time (as cost
> slowly increases)

I have to disagree here. 10% of the requests are for 90% of the 170 -
200 million IPv4 addresses given out per year. These are going to
large broadband ISPs in blocks of a quarter million or (much) larger,
upto /8. At some point, the RIRs will be out of large enough blocks
to satisfy these requests. Nothing to be done about that.

The decrease over time / address market stuff only applies to the 90%
of requests for very smal blocks that together only use 17 - 20
million addresses per year. Those can be satisfied from reclaimed
address space for years to come.