Why do we use facilities with EPO's?

chuck goolsbee chucklist at forest.net
Wed Jul 25 22:41:44 UTC 2007

>If you don't have water-based fire suppression, have normally unoccupied
>spaces, and are continuously manned, it's sometimes possible to pass on
>having an EPO.  YMMV by inspector.

That is indeed true, as we were able to have ours disconnected, and
were able to expand our facility without adding EPOs in the new
datacenter rooms.

We were told that since we met a specific list of criteria, which
included things like FM200/Ecaro25 fire suppression, solid (not
raised) floors, electrical wiring done some particular way, and large
signage indicating where the safety hazards lie for our friends in
the Tukwila & Seattle Fire Departments... we got a pass on the Big
Red Button. I imagine those criteria change from place to place, and
time to time... perhaps even inspector to inspector.

I sleep better at night. Well... A little bit better.

--chuck