365 Main - an operators' nightmare?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Wed Jul 25 20:38:23 UTC 2007

Or:

"So I'm working at this place that is really cheap... Our CTO
believes that it is stupid to pay for electricians that have
experience working in datacenters, because after all, power is power,
right?

So, he calls a bunch of people in the Yellow Pages and hires the
cheapest guy he can find. Said person arrives and looks a little
goggle eyed at all the power stuff -- I wander back in a few hours
later and he is sitting in the middle of the floor reading the Users
Manual for the UPS..

Anyway, he manages to run the three new circuits for us without
killing himself (although for some reason keeps switching the UPS
between online and bypass), and then starts walking out the door...
He stops at the door, looks at the big red glowing switch marked
"Emergency Power Off" -- and then pushes it..... Everything goes
quiet, apart from Rob got startled and dropped the shelf he was
mounting onto his foot.

After we got things turned back on we ask the electrician what
exactly he was thinking... "Well, I figured the light was on because
you were running on Emergency Power..."

--
It's a mistake trying to cheer up camels. You might as well drop
meringues into a black hole. -- Terry Prachett