Network end users to pull down 2 gigabytes a day, continuously?

Alexander Harrowell a.harrowell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 15:34:44 UTC 2007

Michael Dillon said:

The word "multicast" in the above quote, does not refer
to the set of protocols called "IP multicast". Content
delivery networks (CDNs) like Akamai are also, inherently,
a form of multicasting. So are P2P networks like BitTorrent
and EMule.

That's precisely what I mean.

Marshall Eubanks said: I have heard that several big mobile providers are
shortly going to
come out with 802.16 networks in support (I
assume) of point 3

I don't know whether Sprint Nextel's big 802.16e deployment is going to be
used for this, although their keenness on video/TV argues for it. A wide
range of technologies are in prospect, including DMB, DAB-IP, DVB-H,
Qualcomm's MediaFLO and IPWireless's TDTV.

These are radio broadcast systems of various kinds - MediaFLO and TDTV are
adaptations of 3G mobile technologies, from the CDMA2000 world and UMTS
respectively. TDTV, the one I am most familiar with, is essentially a
UMTS-TDD network with all the timeslots set to  send (from the base
station's viewpoint). 3GPP and 3GPP2 are standardising a Multimedia
Broadcast-Multicast Subsystem as an add-on to the R99 core network, expected
in 2008.

>From an IP perspective, most of these are fairly orthogonal, being
essentially alternative access networks on the other side of the MBMS
control function.