Oregon storms affect trans-pacific traffic

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Tue Dec 4 23:11:02 UTC 2007

On 05/12/2007, at 9:29 AM, John Savageau wrote:

> If there is anything we at One Wilshire can do to assist any network
> in
> dealing with this, or recovering from the storm - let us know.  We can
> probably facilitate some emergency cross connections or if you are
> connected to our IXP (Any2) nail up sessions for those carriers
> present
> within One Wilshire within a few hours.

SCCN have carried out a temporary repair, and services are now restored
(ours are, in any case -- Two of our six unprotected STM-4's on SCCN
were
affected by this, but they're now back)

There'll likely be some further outages down the track while the
temporary
repair is made permanent.  But at least the emergency has been
mitigated.

Sounds like things are pretty bad at Portland, Oregon.  Repair took over
24 hours because flooding prevented the splicing crews from getting to
the worksite.  Ouch.

   - mark

Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au
  (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:
newton at atdot.dotat.org  (H)
Internode Systems Pty Ltd                 Desk:   +61-8-82282999